Wednesday, December 3, 2014

Nuse Shqiptarë

One night I went over to my cousin's house and we played "Dress up the American". I wore 3 different, traditional Albanian Nusë (bride) outfits, called Dimija.  PLUS another cousin was there who works as a professional hair and makeup artist for weddings, so I got the works done! Hair, makeup, clothes, shoes, and accessories. So much fun was had by all.  There was laughing. Some laughter. More laughing. Oh, and 2,752 pictures were taken of me. Here are a few for you to enjoy.

With hair done, awaiting makeup.


Copious amounts of makeup. 
I just stood there and they dressed me. So many parts, so much cloth.

Gold on gold on gold.

Traditional way to greet others, instead of just shaking their hand and kissing their cheeks. It's like an up-down, up-down hand motion.

We're dancing the Valle. It's the traditional dance, and typically the only dance done at weddings...for all 5-6 hours. It's about 8 counts and quite simple. 

I tried to be more traditional by not smiling, and also by folding my hands like that.



It's traditional for a bride to wear her dimija and wedding dresses for up to a year after her wedding, and it's common for her to be the one serving the guests.






No comments:

Post a Comment